Baba’s Favorite Not So Healthy Buttery Peanut Butter Cookies
Today is my dad’s, Baba’s, 91st birthday!
There is a lot of irony behind the fact that Baba asks me for cookies every time he sees me these days. If you knew my dad growing up, you’d never believe it. This is the man who wouldn’t allow sugary cereals, anything with red food dye…basically any type of junk food was prohibited in our house. Yes, he had extreme hyper-focus and his hyper focus was always around healthy foods and life style. It was annoyingly overly restrictive to say the least!
I can thank him today, however, because I now have a very deeply rooted sense of what is and what is not healthy!
Why am sharing Baba’s Favorite Not So Healthy Buttery Peanut Butter Cookies on a healthy recipes food blog?
Living to be 91 somehow you let go of certain worries, along with a whole lot of your memory! These days what Baba does remember is to count his blessings and be thankful of how far we’ve come as a family. And now he wants cookies!
Huge thanks to my brother and Stacy who hosted us all in their beautiful new Napa home to celebrate Baba’s bday. All I did was bring a bunch of cookies…
To answer many pre-anticipated questions, no these cookies are not exactly healthy. Count them as a red light if you track on Kurbo and then eat them up without any guilt, because you chose fruits and healthy snacks all week long, right? Live a little on the weekends and allow yourself to bake and have your favorite desserts.
This recipe was adapted from ‘Grandad Danner’s Favorite Peanut Butter Cookies’ – I did cut down the sugar a bit and replace half the white flour with whole wheat – other than that it is a very similar recipe to Gwenyth Paltrow’s!
Here ya, go, the recipe for Baba’s Favorite Not So Healthy Buttery Peanut Butter Cookies:
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat white flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Cup smooth peanut butter, plus one big spoonful
- ¾ Cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ Cup granulated sugar
- 1 large organic egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Stir together dry ingredients with a whisk in a medium bowl
- Beat softened butter with peanut butter, sugars, and vanilla
- Stir in egg by hand
- Add in dry ingredients in thirds and stir together until smooth, scraping sides
- Squeeze dough together with hands and shape into golf ball sized balls (about 1½ inches in diameter)
- Flatten ball and roll in white sugar
- Press down on cookie with thumb
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Cook on paper towels or rack
- Garnish with chocolate kiss or chocolate chips