Baked Cornflake Crusted Chicken Nuggets
I make Baked Cornflake Chicken Nuggets when I need a fast and easy dinner solution that I know is light and healthy. It goes well with almost anything so the side dishes are a snap. I often make it with a little Basmati rice and a side of veggies. Tonight we’re having it with some steamed green beans. Kids, teens, and grown ups all gobble these nuggets up. The kids get excited when they hear we’re having Cornflake chicken.
This video is a life saver. Its short and gives me a visual of what I need to do to get dinner on the table. I play it on my phone and then I’m good to go. I’m hoping it will be just the thing for you too!
VIDEO HOW TO MAKE BAKED CORNFLAKE CRUSTED CHICKEN STRIPS:
Video notes: I skip the flour step mainly for simplicity. I find that dipping the chicken in the egg mixture and then straight into the Cornflake crumbs works fine. Sometimes the cornflake crumbs get a bit sticky. If that happens I add a little more fresh Cornflakes. I use a couple dashes of dried Italian seasonings instead of the fresh parsley but the seasonings are optional. This recipe doesn’t need much in the spice department – the Cornflake crumbs are tasty alone with a bit of salt.
Supplies: You will need lots of Cornflakes, about a pound and a half of chicken breasts or tenders, 2 eggs stirred with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings (optional).
Crushing the Cornflakes in a ziplock bag keeps things neat and clean. Use a rolling pin to get the crumbs small enough to stick to the chicken. Keep the Cornflake crumbs in the bag and coat the egg dipped chicken with the crumbs “shake and bake” style. Do you remember Shake and Bake baked chicken from the 80’s?
Cook for about 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven, flip the nuggets and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes (depending on the size of your tenders and nuggets) – I make them small-ish.
As I mentioned I like to serve these healthy nuggets up with a big green salad or green beans. I’ll often make a pot of Basmati white rice or slice up some whole grain bread to make this a well rounded, filling meal.
If you like Baked Cornflake Crusted Chicken Nuggets, try Crispy Baked Cornflake Shrimp! The strategy is very similar and the shrimp comes out crispy, crunchy good.
- 3 chicken breast halves or about 2 pounds of chicken breast tenders
- 4½ Cups Cornflakes cereal
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon light olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- few dashes of dried Italian seasonings (optional)
- Cut chicken breast into small tenders
- Stir eggs with a fork
- Add olive oil to egg mixture
- Crush Cornflakes in a freezer sized Ziplock bag, first with hands, then with rolling pin
- Add salt and seasonings to Cornflake crumbs and shake
- Dip chicken in egg mixture then coat with Corn flake crumbs
- You can put the egg coated chicken right in the bag and shake
- Lay Cornflake coated chicken tenders on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Cook in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes
- Flip tenders
- Cook another 5 to 10 minutes until desired crispy-ness is achieved