Easy Paleo Flank Steak Marinade
Hi friends! Before I get into this yummy marinade recipe let me get up on my soap box for just a moment to share some food beliefs. I don’t follow a Paleo meal plan, I am not a Vegan, and I only believe in going gluten-free when there is a case of celiac disease. Anything that restricts whole food categories is too restrictive! As attractive and appealing a new way of eating may seem, if it cuts out whole food groups it’s not going to be sustainable in the long term. There may be parts of a given food philosophy, take Paleo for example, that make sense. For example limiting processed foods, refined sugars, and excessive salt is always a good idea. With regards to whole grains and dairy however, it’s best to be mindful of portions as they are not bad for the average person. Sure there are folks out there with food allergies and sensitivities – just remember they are the exceptions. Listen to your own body’s signals. Following a balanced, whole foods approach is the wisest way to go!
If I don’t follow a Paleo diet, why did I title this post Paleo Flank Steak?
To be honest, I was curious to see reactions to it. Human nature is to go after what is trending, exciting and new. I have flipped through the pages of Paleo cookbooks myself and read through the Whole 30 approach to eating. It is tempting to look for quick weight loss fixes, cleanses and magical solutions. Look long term friends! Ask yourself this question – can you follow the given meal plan for the rest of your life? If the answer is no, move on!
Now for this steak!
In reality we very rarely prepare a meal at home with any red meat – not even every few months…it’s less than that. We eat chicken, ground turkey, salmon and vegetarian. Mainly this is for reasons of personal taste. The girls and I don’t care for the taste of red meat. Once in awhile I’ll pick up some steaks when the weather is good and Bob is in the mood to grill. My sis’ in law Stacy likes to serve up steak when she hosts dinner parties. Her go-to meal is a simple flank steak marinade we all enjoy. Hers is literally one ingredient – soy sauce. The recipe I’m sharing today takes aunt Stacy’s flank steak and spices things up a bit more.
Things I love about this recipe for Easy Paleo Flank Steak Marinade:
- flank steak is a relatively lean meat and is considered a yellow light in Kurbo
- very little oil or sugar added so the marinade is also yellow light
- easy, no mess method (no touching required!) using a bowl and a large ziplock bag
- it’s delicious!
Now back to this marinade. The longer you can wait marinating the better – shoot for overnight and up to 24 hours for best results!
If you don’t eat red meat the marinade is versatile – it works with chicken too.
- 2 pounds flank steak or chicken
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger or ginger paste
- Couple squirts of lime juice
- ¼ cup thinly sliced chives
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- gallon sized freezer Ziplock bag
- Place open zip lock bag in a large bowl
- Put meat inside the bag
- Add all the ingredients and seal the bag
- Squeeze and turn the bag to evenly distribute the marinade
- Allow the marinade to soak into the meat overnight or for a minimum of 4 or 5 hours
- Grill about 5 to 6 minutes per side