Fool Proof Cut Out Sugar Cookies for Santa
Merry Christmas Eve friends! Hope this email finds you relaxing, enjoying friends and family, and preparing good foods! Save up your red lights for a little treat and try these fluffy, buttery cookies – you won’t regret it. If you know me you know I’m serious about my cookies. As much as I love cookies however, I can be a fool about makin’ them. I’ve learned the ‘butter rule’ – my sis’ in law, a.k.a. aunt Cici enlightened me to Butter Holds the Secret to Cookies That Sing (click on the link and read about how to deal with butter now! hint: never, ever melt it!). Since reading that article my cookies have elevated to a new level. Even so I get so frustrated trying to roll out sugar cookies that wind up being sticky, or melting together on the tray after carefully shaping with cookie cutters. That is until I found a Fool Proof, heavenly dough, know it’s going to be good, the dough is delicious too, …Best Ever Sugar Shape Cookie Recipe!
Like I said, these are super buttery, light and fluffy, with a hint of almond, very delicious shape cookies.
If you are looking to make a little surprise for Santa I’ve got you covered! As soon as you combine all the ingredients this dough starts coming together beautifully. You can tell right away by the feel of the dough that this dough makes a good cookie. Follow the instructions in the recipe for chilling the dough, this is key. Plus my added recommendation is to roll out the chilled dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper, put back into fridge over night (if you can wait!) and then go to town with your cookie cutters. I promise you there will be no frustrating stickiness on the cutters – the dough will cut so nicely!
Kids and teens love helping to decorate shape cookies. We use Wiltons decorating bags and tips. If you don’t have time to pick any up, you can make due with a sandwich or freezer bag filled with royal icing and a small cut in the corner end.
Hold on to your hat Santa, you can find the recipe on Food.com, Kittencal’s Buttery Cut-Out Sugar Cookies.
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- For cookies; in a large bowl combine butter with sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract; beat using an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl combine the flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (do not grease cookie sheets use parchment paper only).
- On a very lightly floured surface roll out the dough into about ¼-inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place cookies 2-inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 4-6 minutes.
- Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely before icing.
I have a fun post prepared for y’all for next week including OvenHug’s top recipe posts from 2016. Until then…
Merriest of Christmases from our family to yours!!