GF Dark Chocolate Monster Cookies
These cookies are almost too good to share. Ah! When it comes to a good cookie I have absolutely No self control. Guess, what – no one does! If you decide to make these adorable and wickedly delicious cookies take my advice and bake them when you’re not hungry and then share them.
Dark Chocolate Monster cookies are gluten-free. They are also chewy, rich, and taste like decadent brownies. These ugly/cute little cookies are so fun to make.
The recipe came to me literally when I saw the oversized googly eyes in the market. I love googly eyes. They bring back memories of fun filled days crafting and teaching kids art. I visualized an ugly/cute cookie made of very dark chocolate, lumpy with pretzel sticks poking out, and fun with colorful M&Ms on top. Yep, this is how my mind works. Googly eyes = Monster chocolate cookies.
After the first sheet pan full of cookies went in and out of the oven I quickly learned that candy googly eyes melt, oops!
It was an easy recipe adjustment to add the candy googly eyes directly after baking.
Here are the easy steps for baking GF Dark Chocolate Monster Cookies.
Measure out powdered sugar and cocoa powder and leave eggs out to come to room temperature. Add a little espresso for a more potent chocolate flavor and cinnamon for a Mexican chocolate twist.
Whip the egg whites slightly with a fork – about 20 to 30 seconds until slightly foamy.
Pour vanilla into egg whites. Add egg white mixture into combined dry ingredients (powdered sugar, cocoa powder, espresso, cinnamon, and salt). Stir until the dry ingredients are fully moistened.
Lastly stir in almond flour until well combined and 2 Tablespoons of milk.
Add fun add-in’s!
I used M&Ms, pretzel sticks, and dark chocolate chips. Chocolate covered sunflower seeds would also be festive, colorful and fun. Anything to make it chunky, colorful, and delicious.
Put the dough in the refrigerator for at least 5 minutes and up to 20.
Add M&Ms on top before baking and the googly eyes after baking (they melt in the oven!).
We love GF Dark Chocolate Monster Cookies! They are decadent, rich, brownie cookies with a super soft center and a crispy edge. The pretzel pieces add fun texture as do the crunch of the M&Ms. These cookies are so much fun to create and play around with. I love that they are supposed to be non-perfect and misshapen’ed, just like all of us!
I have one baking tip. These are ooey gooey sticky cookies – very brownie like as I mentioned. Refrigerate the dough for at least 5 minutes before handling and it will be much easier to shape the cookies. In addition be sure to not only line your baking sheet with parchment paper but also spray the paper liberally with cooking oil. This will allow your cookies to come right off without sticking and make for easy clean up.
- 2¼ cups powdered sugar
- ⅔ cups unsweetened cocoa powder (we like Ghiradelli)
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup super fine almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons nonfat milk
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (we like Guittard chips)
- 2 small bags M&Ms (about ⅓ cup)
- 2 cups pretzel sticks
- Candy goggly eyes
- Spray oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with spray oil
- Dry whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, espresso, cinnamon and salt
- Whip egg whites with a fork for about 20 to 30 seconds until slightly foamy
- Add vanilla extract to egg whites
- Combine egg mixture and dry mixture until all of dry is absorbed
- Add almond flour and combine thoroughly
- Stir in 2 Tablespoons milk
- Add the 'add in's' (pretzels, chocolate chips) and stir
- Refrigerate for 5 minutes or so to stiffen the dough
- Spoon out onto cookie sheet
- Decorate the tops off cookies with a few M&Ms
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes
- Add candy googly eyes to baked cookies as they are cooling off
Here are some pic’s from a silly photo shoot I did with Ava. As you can see you can leave off the candy googly eyes and the cookies will be just as cute and delicious.
Buddy made an appearance in this one – he’s always at my feet!
Apparently it’s more flattering to take pic’s from a high angle 😉
Don’t forget the silly stickers off Instagram:
I hope you liked this post and I hope you make and share these decadent, fun cookies.
✨Powdered kisses, ✨Bita