Greek Quinoa Salad
Hello OvenHuggers! How did we get to the end of summer so quickly? I guess that is a sign that it has been a good one. I’ve been making this Greek Quinoa Salad a bunch lately and figured it’s high time I shared it with you all. What I love about it is it has all the good flavors you’d expect from a Greek salad but made with fat-free/low-fat cheese and very little oil. The quinoa in the salad adds protein and fiber which adds nutritional value and fill you up. Greek Quinoa Salad works as a side dish to almost any main (except maybe Chinese food or sushi?) I like to make a big batch and have some left-over to have with my lunch the next day. I even sometimes have some on the side with my breakfast! It’s not to shabby with some eggs. As you can tell this is my current go-to salad.
It’s easy to switch up the veggies in this salad to your liking. I use my veggie chopper which makes things go faster. I added sweet cherry tomatoes (yellow and red), cucumber, bell peppers (green and red), and red onion.
Cook a cup of quinoa in 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and allow water to boil off for about 20 minutes. Fluff up with a fork.
Stir the two together, add a good quality olive oil and lots of fresh lemon juice. Add some low-fat or fat free feta cheese crumbles.
Season with salt, pepper, and parsley (optional – I skipped for a kid-friendly version). Transfer to a pretty serving dish. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- 1 Cup quinoa
- 2 Cups water
- 2 containers organic cherry tomatoes (I use yellow and red for more color)
- 1 large zucchini cucumber, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cut low-fat or fat-free feta crumbles
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Cook quinoa following package instructions (bring water and quinoa to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, fluff with a fork)
- Wash, chop, and combine veggies
- Stir veggies into quinoa
- Add spices, olive oil, and lemon juice
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve
If you love a good Greek salad and want something with meat, check out last year’s recipe for Grilled Chicken Greek Salad, it’s a goodie! That’s all I have this week. Stay tuned for next week’s recipe post which will come with a story 🙂