Simple Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Carrot and Potato Soup
Hi friends! Today I’m sharing soup – how very ‘fall-ish’ of me. This soup is your grandmother’s chicken soup in it’s simplicity plus a touch of modern, global flavors. I went easy on the curry spice using just a spoon of yellow curry powder, lighter than red curry paste. In addition, I diluted the coconut milk with veggie broth leaving the coconut flavor very mild.
Here are the easy steps!
Add the meat first along with the onions and garlic and set the Crockpot timer to about a 45 minutes to an hour insuring that sure that the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Next chop the carrots and potatoes into small chunks:
Add the coconut milk, broth, carrots and potatoes and spices to the cooked chicken and onions and give it a stir. Set the Crockpot for about 3 to 4 hours on high or until the carrots and potatoes are nice and tender:
How about a couple more stirs?:
Add-ins are easy. You may like to add spinach, noodles, or cabbage to your soup. Any of those would be good.
To enhance the Thai flavors you can use red curry paste (stronger than the yellow curry powder I use here in this recipe). Other possible Thai soup include lime juice, lemon grass, and ginger. Mmmm, I love Thai food! As I mentioned however, I kept my soup recipe here very simple and light on the spices and add-ins. This way everyone can have some including my senior parents. It’s definitely not bland. In this Thai soup recipe you can just taste the coconut and curry but it’s not over powering.
Use a couple sprigs of cilantro and some chopped peanuts as a garnish when serving and some Crisp n Light 7 Grain Wasa crackers – presentation is everything. If you haven’t tried these new crackers they are way better than traditional Wasa’s and are also a yellow light in Kurbo! I had some of this soup with crackers for lunch and it kept me satisfied all through the afternoon.
- 1 pound organic chicken breast, chopped into small pieces
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) Reduced Fat Coconut Milk
- 4 Cups fingerling heirloom potatoes, chopped
- 4 Cups organic carrots, chopped (I used baby carrots)
- 4 Cups (16 ounces) veggie broth
- Spray cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- chopped peanuts (for garnish)
- Spray the inside of a slow-cooker or Crock-pot with cooking oil
- Cut chicken, onions and garlic and add to Crock-pot
- Set Crock-pot to 1 hour on High heat
- Chop carrots and potatoes
- Add to cooked chicken and onions
- Add all other ingredients and spices (coconut milk, veggie broth, curry and salt)
- Set Crock-pot timer to about 3 hours on High or until carrots and potatoes are nice and tender
- Serve in bowls
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts
This Thai chicken carrot and potato soup is comforting, filling, and delicious. I think you will like it!